NORTHWEST FLY FISHING ADVENTURES

NORTHWEST FLY FISHING ADVENTURES
Journal notes from quality destinations across the country...

Friday, December 19, 2008

Winter Break



I'm officially in the winter months of my season and this is the time I traditionally take off each year to rest and contemplate. It's also when I get around to working on the journal I publish for friends and family each year. It's been such a busy year that I wasn't sure I would get it done. And while I probably won't finish before Christmas, I will get copies out to everyone as soon as I can find the time. The cover art is done (see the photo) and I think its shaping up nicely.


I'm not the only one who preaches that what a good fisherman needs is a good three months off each year. There's just something to be said for having a beginning and an end to each season. For myself, it just adds to the celebration of the sport. After all, any good tech-head worth his weight knows that puttering with the gear bag in preparation for the first trip of the year is almost an event in itself. I relish the anticipation of that first trip and I enjoy the melancholy of the last day of the last trip of the year. Life is all about cycles and this just fits...


Truth be told, I also need the downtime for tying more flies. I can never keep enough Stimulators, Sealbuggers, and Water Boatmen in the fly box. There's also a certain white and chartreuse minnow pattern the Smallies slobber after... I've never been a fast fly producer so having the quiet months to focus on refilling stock is a real plus.


However you spend the winter, whether its ice in the glass in front of the TV or ice in the guides in front of a cold Steelhead hole, I hope you find the time to look back on what was another great year of fishing. I am grateful to all the friends and family who accompanied me and I look forward to the new season after I come out of hibernation...

No comments:

Post a Comment