NORTHWEST FLY FISHING ADVENTURES

NORTHWEST FLY FISHING ADVENTURES
Journal notes from quality destinations across the country...

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Cycle of the Seasons and Our Lives

Whether thou liv’st more winters, or thy last
Be this, which Tyrrhen waves ’gainst rocks do cast.
Be wise! drink free, and in so short a space
Do not protracted hopes of life embrace,
Whilst we are talking, envious time doth slide:
This day’s thine own; the next may be denied.

HORACE
23 B.C.

We often overlook the joy of hanging out together casually when we are fishing.  I was grateful to everyone who came out with me in 2013.  There was a different face on my boat almost every outing and I enjoyed that.  But I didn't stop to think about it.  Not until January when I answered my cell phone and heard bad news on  a gray, rainy afternoon. 

Mike, my brother in Michigan, fell victim to an aneurysm and was gone at the tender age of forty-six, leaving behind a grieving wife and six kids, not to mention the entire congregation of the Bible Church he pastored.  I had just talked to him at Christmas about the air miles I was saving for the fall and the rivers we would fish together.  Instead I spent the miles on a flight to snowy Michigan in the heart of winter to attend a funeral that broke my heart.  The snow and ice and nine-degree weather seemed oppressive and all the hugs and tears only worked to amplify the nagging feeling that the world was either coming to an end or was stuck in time in a place I didn't want to be.
 
The seasons cycle as they must.  Winter will turn to spring shortly and then I will be surprised to be out on my favorite lakes again so soon.  Life cycles, too.  We just don't like to think about it.  I thought I would pass before my little brother but God had other plans.  I took for granted all those casual times we fished together and now I vow I won't do that with my friends and family this coming season.  
 
The seasons of life having cycled, there will be no more trips with Mike.  I wish it wasn't that way. 
 
But I look forward to seeing him in eternity and I trust, as many do not have the faith to do, that God will let us fish again together.  After all, everyone knows the disciples were fisherman and John, Jesus' favorite, was a dry fly fisherman...   I have faith.
 
 
Rod and Mike (1975)
  
 
Fishing a creek from our childhood in western Washington (2006)

Bass fishing together in the Everglades - his favorite place (2000)
 
 
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life.
He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;
and whoever lives and believes in me will never die."
Jn 11:25-26

 
Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
Ps 116:15

 


No comments:

Post a Comment