NORTHWEST FLY FISHING ADVENTURES

NORTHWEST FLY FISHING ADVENTURES
Journal notes from quality destinations across the country...

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

2013 Was a Great Year

What to say about the year past?  Another big year on the water should result in a lot of great memories but for some reason I go into 2014 thinking about the year to come instead.  I guess I'm writing this so late that I am already excited for spring to arrive.  But I can't shake the nagging suspicion that last season was all a prelude for what will follow here shortly...  Hope I'm right. 
 
I hit all of the usual haunts in 2013 and fished with more people than usual - I must have been out with 25 different folks and that's a lot for me.  They all shared various levels of interest in the sport, by which I am hinting that some were lowly gear guys quickly blessed and forgiven for their sins so we could enjoy a selection of venues together. 
Here is a sampling of what we saw together.  And here’s hoping your time on the fly was even better.
 
SPRING
High desert lakes on the east side of the state dominate the spring.  Bass are mandatory fun in May but I am sick and tired of being outfished by my friends.  Dang it!  One of these years the best Bass photo will be of one I caught. 
 
A healthy Largemouth Bass

A boy and his truck equal good times
 
The bay boat on Banks Lake
 
 
SUMMER
Mid-July to September was all about the lowly Pink Salmon.  A pest to the guys who chase Kings and a godsend to in-shore shallow water boys like me and my compadres.   Up at 4AM for each outing and out on the salt in time for sunrise.  There were 26 trips made and 88 fish landed.  It's too bad the word "awesome" is over-used...  So is "epic" and so is...  Well, you get the point. 
 
View of Mt. Rainier from Puget Sound

David with a nice 6 1/2 pound Pink Salmon
 
Sunset on the salt
 
 
 FALL
A little lake in October became the stuff of dreams as I found one eighteen-inch trout after another to slam the Sealbugger I was slinging.  One guy was doing better than me with Chironomids but I figured I was having more fun strip-setting on aggressive takes than he was half-asleep waiting for his bobber, I mean strike indicator, to wiggle.  A couple other guys paddled by looking a little downcast and having trouble finding any biting fish.  I wished them well, knowing that could easily be me on the next lake.  But on this day I was king and enjoyed my time in charge of the kingdom. 
 
Lilly pads and quiet water
 
 
A fat Rainbow Trout in western Washington
 
 
There were thirty-seven outings in 2013.  Not bad for a guy with a day job.  And with any luck, I'll have a similar story to tell next season... 
 
The Seattle skyline
as seen from a boat launch in West Seattle
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment